
It came and went without incident, which was a surprise to everyone. Our first night with twins weighed on our minds for the past 35 weeks or so. How in the world do you feed two at once? Should you even try? What if one wakes up hungry and the other is dead asleep? And, of course, how do you survive if they are both screaming at the top of their lungs?
The prevailing advice from friends, tv shoes, books magazines (and probably a few old wives) is to try and keep them on the same schedule. If one wakes up to eat, then wake up the other one too. We entered the night with trepidation, but with a plan. Luke was on duty until 1:30 am or so, and Micki assumed responsibility thereafter.
We both had to do a feeding during our shift. Luckily, Samuel and Charlotte slept together peacefully until 1:15 am and then started to stir. They slowly woke up without getting loud. I took them downstairs one at a time, prepped their bottles and the feeding grounds (the corner of the couch). Once all was ready, I changed Samuel and then Charlotte. Following the advice of Elizabeth Lyons I propped them both up in the middle of a Boppy and inserted both bottles simultaneously. I can't say they ended up in that position. At varying times I had Sam on my lap, Charlotte laying flat on her back on a couch cushion, held a bottle with my chin, a burp cloth with my teeth, etc. It was an adventure, to say the least. I only regret that I don't have it on video.
But I somehow finished quickly without incident. They went back to bed easily afterwards and did not wake for several hours when Micki had a similarly bizarre but successful experience. Neither of us are under the impression that we'll ever have a single night so easy again. The pic is from 2:00 am, post first-feed, and they spontaneously reached out and grabbed each others hands. What is cuter than that?
No comments:
Post a Comment